See the Australian bush at its most colourful in Gurulmundi - one of southern Queensland's most significant wildflower hotspots with over 200 species of plants flourishing on the Great Dividing Range. Our botanist knows the best vantage points for you to be thrilled by abundant grevilleas, hakeas, wattles, bush peas, boronias, melaleucas, kunzeas, daisies and grass trees. You can also spot rare, threatened species like the Gurulmundi heath-myrtle. Lunch is included. Tour season is August-September and dates vary with peak flowering times.
- Driving and walking
- 1 day
Welcome to Wildflower Country. Come visit Gurulmundi – one of southern Queensland’s most botanically significant areas. This renowned wildflower hotspot contains over 200 species of plants – all jam-packed on the crest of the Great Dividing Range.
With our Botanist, you will travel around 1:45 hours (155 km) east of Roma to Gurulmundi where you will see a striking array of wildflowers including grevilleas, hakeas, wattles, bush peas plus much more. You can also spot rare, threatened species like the Gurulmundi Heath-myrtle or see plants such as tiny ground orchids that you might otherwise miss.
Take as much time as you like to admire the floral displays while being treated to delicious outback tucker. The day is easy-paced and can be tailored to group needs and interests. After a day of exploring sit back and relax in the bus, reflecting on the day that has been, as we head back towards the township of Roma and your accommodation.
What to expect: Tour is easy-paced and can be tailored to group needs and interests. Take short walks which may include some uneven ground, long grass and areas with dense shrubs. Longer walks and visits to adjoining Stones Country Regional Park can be arranged upon request. Tours leaving Roma and travelling to Gurulmundi involve approximately a 1.5 hour drive. All tours are weather dependent.
- Tours are subject to change. All tours are weather dependent and a contingency may be required. For tours that are held during storm and fire season, actual location may vary on the day according to prevailing conditions.
- Mobile phone coverage is limited in areas of the tour. Guides will carry first aid & remote communication equipment.
- Mornings may be chilly in late winter, but the days can warm up to high 20’s and high 30’s during spring.
- Tour involves short walks (with various gradients) on uneven and rocky ground. Good balance recommended.
- Bush toileting may be required at times
- Flights or transport to/from Roma
- Travel Insurance
Grade 2 - Easy
- Guided tour through Gurulmundi wildflower area with our professional botanist.
- Visit multiple stops, hand-picked for optimal wildflower viewing.
- Delicious morning tea and picnic lunch while being surrounded by flowers galore.
- Transfers from your accommodation in Roma to Gurulmundi in BOOBOOK’s 4WD air-conditioned vehicle (abt 1:45 hour relaxing interpretative drive each way).
- Lend of walking poles (if needed).
- An authentic and brilliant Outback Australian experience.
Guests to Bring:
Sense of adventure, good humour and questions, small backpack, hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, full water bottle, comfortable walking clothes and covered-in shoes (long pants are recommended), camera
8 - 18 people
Beginning & End Times:
7am Departs Roma (commentary on the local region, legends & landmarks).
8:45am Enter the Gurulmundi area
Upon arriving at Gurulmundi, we first visit multiple wildflower sites, each more impressive than the last. Enjoy a relaxing morning tea beside the brilliant red grevilleas.
We continue the tour with more wildflower spotting and explanation of the natural and cultural history of the area. We stop to hunt for rare species, tiny ground orchids and carnivorous plants or admire the hectares of colourful heath. Tuck into a delicious picnic lunch while surrounded by wildflowers sprawled amongst rock pavement and woodlands.
Along the way you will learn about fascinating flora from a qualified botanical expert while keeping an eye out for some of Australia’s iconic wildlife.
Before the day is out you will take a short walk to immerse yourself at the spectacular grand finale wildflower site – camera highly recommended!
2:15pm Depart Gurulmundi
4:00pm Approx. return to Roma