Photograph hidden gems in the QLD Outback right out of a Dorothea Mackellar poem.
- Driving and walking
- 4 Days, 3 Nights
Get ready to click that camera as we traverse hidden worlds with thousands of years of history, in a part of Queensland that few have ever explored. With exclusive access to some of Australia’s best privately owned outback locations, we bring you the stunning Carnarvon Ranges, including Carnarvon Gorge National Park. With our very own highly experienced Eco Guides from BOOBOOK we will connect you with Australia’s real outdoors while discovering many of nature’s secrets few ever have the opportunity to see. During this unique opportunity within a small group, you will be photographing inland Queensland’s wondrous natural ecosystems, lesser known Australian wildlife, ancient cycads, Aboriginal rock art, farm animals, rustic buildings, old/new machinery and much more.
The tour is led by Craig and Meryl Eddie from Boobook Ecotours, who are recognised ecological experts across Outback Queensland, with an unrivalled breadth and depth of knowledge. In addition to being an ecological encyclopaedia, Craig is a huge rugby league fan and can play the didgeridoo. From boyhood, Craig has had an inexplicable fascination with land snails and is even credited for the discovery of many new species – ask him about the ones with fuzzy noses if you dare. Photographic partner and host is Greg Sullavan, who will be with you the whole time to make sure you get the very best from your nature, landscape and macro photographic experiences. Greg is a well-known and travelled Brisbane based photographer and mentor. He is highly respected as an expert in landscape, travel and nature photography.
Our home for the three nights is the Wallaroo Outback Retreat, with 10 recently renovated glamping tents, 5 with Ensuites and 5 with rustic shared bathrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, and an atmospheric lodge building built from timber milled on the property. This is camping with style! Enjoy a yarn, a glass of wine and some camp oven cooking around the rustic fire pit while spotting for rock wallabies against the cliffs.
Numbers are strictly limited, this is how to book:
- Call Boobook Ecotours: +61 7 4622 2646, or book online at boobookecotours.com.au
- Make own arrangements getting to Roma, Qld, which is about a five and half hour drive west of Brisbane along the fully sealed Warrego Highway. Qantas Link flies daily between Roma and Brisbane (one hour flight)
- Locations may be remote (i.e. several hours) from the nearest town.
- Tour is weather dependent and a contingency may be required for travel if unexpected weather is experienced during the survey period.
- Mobile phone coverage will be limited
- Guests to supply their own alcohol
- Expected temperatures: can be cool overnight (mean for October: 13˚C) can be warm – hot during the day (mean for October: 30˚C)
- Walks will require sound levels of fitness (participants will require good mobility and balance)
- Hiking poles and headtorches available for loan if required
- Bush toileting may be your only option during parts of some days.
- 3 nights accommodation at Wallaroo Outback Retreat – glamping style tents with real beds. Access to shared amenities and dining/training room
- Transfers from Roma Accommodation to all tours sites and accommodation between 23rd and 26th March
- Scrumptious meals all inclusive: 3 x Dinners, lunches, breakfasts plus morning/afternoon teas
- Continual access to tea/coffee facilities
- Transfers around Wallaroo and to/from Carnarvon Gorge National Park and other sites
- National Park & Property Access Fees
- Your own ecological expert as an interpretive guide
Guests to Bring:
- Sense of adventure
- Good humour and questions
- Your own Camera kit, tripod, laptop
- Greg recommends having the latest version of Adobe Lightroom
- Small day pack
- Personal water bottles
- Comfortable walking clothes and closed-in shoes
- Casual evening camp wear, noting it can get cool at night.
- Insect repellent
- Personal toiletries and towel
- Swimmers attire
Up to 16 people twin Share
Beginning & End Times:
- You will be picked up from your hotel room by Boobook Tours on Tuesday morning between 7:00am – 7:30am, 5 October 2021
- Transfers to airport / Roma accommodation by lunchtime, Friday 9 October 2021
Accomodation:Wallaroo Outback Retreat