From the meandering Balonne River to the headwaters of the Carnarvon Ranges, this part of southern Queensland has a wealth of heritage history and outback scenery, as well as cotton farms, cattle stations and orange groves. You'll see all of Roma's highlights, cruise on the river at St George, visit Surat's Cobb & Co museum, discover historical Miles and explore the ranges where the Indigenous art is matched only by the stunning sandstone landscape. There are food experiences galore - charming pubs, country breakfasts and a winery experience.
- Driving and Sightseeing
- 8 Days, 8 Nights
Take out all the hard work of driving by travelling with Boobook, an established, safe and fun tour company based in Roma, Queensland.
Travelling in a small group (no more than 16 people) in a 4WD Toyota Coaster bus enjoy a taste of the outback as we meander around parts of the Balonne River catchment, meeting interesting characters and visiting local attractions such as the Riversands Winery, a cotton farm, the Cobb & Co Museum, Roma Saleyards, heritage listed homesteads, Myall Park Botanic Garden, historical centres and endearing/charming local pubs. We’ll take a lazy boat ride down the Balonne River. Towards the end of the tour we’ll jump catchments to the headwaters to the Carnarvon Ranges with their spectacular views, rocky outcrops and rich Aboriginal art. All meals provided.
* Wildflowers in bloom are subject to winter/spring rain and cannot be guaranteed.
Here’s a brief summary of the attractions and sites we Visit
Roma Revealed: Immerse yourself in an official Welcome to Country and smoking ceremony by the Mandandanji. Discover Roma’s key landmarks such as Lake Neverfill, The Overflow, St Paul’s Anglican Church, Roma Bush Gardens, and the Biggest Bottle Tree. Enjoy lunch at one of Roma’s charming outback pubs before spending a relaxing afternoon squeezing orange juice at Rosedale Orchards.
Cobb & Co Changing Station, Surat: The original site of the Cobb & Co Store and drop-off point for coach travellers and goods, housing a museum depicting lifestyles of yesteryear, is home to a 14-seater Cobb & Co coach and houses an amazing 25,000 litre freshwater aquarium, social history museum and regional art gallery.
Sandytown River Cruises, St George: Unwind for a couple of hours on a lazy inland Australian river experiencing the beauty and tranquillity of the River Red Gum lined banks of the Balonne River
St George Heritage Tour, St George: Discover the stories and legends of the town. Visit the Anchorage Homestead and hear the history of one of the oldest homes in the shire. Learn about their local heritage. Includes wine tasting & lunch at Riversands Vineyards
Riversands Winery and Cotton Farm Tour, St George: Enjoy wine tasting and lunch at Riversands Vineyards and hear the stories behind their award-winning labels. Learn about irrigated farming in the St George region hosted by local growers. Discover how cotton and grapes are grown, irrigated, harvested and marketed.
Myall Park Botanic Garden, Glenmorgan: Find respite and inspiration in this State and National Heritage listed botanic garden created by David Gordon, featuring Australian plants found in semi-arid, arid and dry tropical regions; including varieties such as Ooline and spectacular eucalyptus, wattles and tea trees. Home of Robyn Gordon and other popular grevillea varieties. Has an art gallery and fit shop.
Miles Historical Village and Museum: Journey through the 19th and 20th Century Miles streetscapes complete with old homesteads and steam train, check out the war museum collections, lapidary displays, shell collection and learn more about the Great Artesian Basin.
Roma Saleyards: Cattle mooing, auctioneers calling, horses trotting – it all happens at the Roma Saleyards and we’re going to be there on sale day. Be careful not to bid at the wrong time or you might have to pack a few steers in your bag to take home.
Anglican Church, Roma: Be inspired by the gorgeous and spiritual display of over 50 stunning leadlight and stained-glassed windows as we wander through listening to tales of how this church was built and the meaning behind the windows.
Big Rig Night Show / High Tea / Tower, Roma: Listen to the twists and drama surrounding early oil and gas exploration along with the stories of the people that pioneered todays thriving industry. Travel up the magnificent 40m high Big Rig Tower and enjoy the Rigger’s Tree Top walk, various exhibits, machinery displays and audio-visual presentations.
Discover Carnarvon Ranges, Injune: Travel secluded gorges and astounding sandstone cliffs contained within a 72,000-acre working cattle station nestled within the Carnarvon Ranges. With exclusive access we’ll see amazing rock formations, unique Aboriginal rock art, cycad gorges and fabulous views of the Arcadia Valley.
- Tours are subject to change. All tours are weather dependent and a contingency maybe required. Tours that are held during storm and fire season, actual location may vary on the day according to prevailing conditions.
- Mobile phone coverage is limited in areas of the tour. Guides will carry first aid & remote communication equipment.
- Mornings may be cool, but the days can warm up to mid 20’s during winter and high 30’s during summer.
- The cost of meals are included in the tour price, however guests will need to purchase their own alcohol.
- Personalised small tour group, with a local guide
- Interpretative visits to key landmarks and attractions within and surrounding the towns of Roma, Surat, St George and Miles
- Over fourteen attractions and tours including: Welcome Smoking Ceremony, St Paul’s Anglican Church, Rosedale Orchards, Mount Abundance Homestead, Sandytown River cruise, Cobb & Co Changing Station, Riversands Winery, Cotton Farm Tour, St George Anchorage Homestead / town tour, Miles Historical Village guided tour, Myall Botanic Garden guided tour, Roma Saleyards, Big Rig Night Show, Discover Carnarvon Ranges Day Tour
- Six nights accommodation, noting if catching the train on night eight you will have use of a motel room until transfers to the train at approximately 11pm.
- All meals from lunch Day Two to dinner Day Seven (Total: 30)
- Transfers from the Roma Train Station, Roma Airport or your accommodation in Roma
- Travel in 4WD Toyota Coaster Bus
- A true and brilliant Outback Australian experience
Guests to Bring:
Sense of adventure, good humour and questions, Full water bottle, Day Pack Comfortable clothes and covered in shoes, Hat, Insect repellent, Sunscreen, Camera, Togs and towel, Personal clothes and toiletries for an 8 day trip.
Up to 16 people twin share
Beginning & End Times:
Travel day. Make your way to Roma via the Westlander Train; fly with Rex Airlines or use your own transport.
Day Two: Friday
- 6:05am – Transfer from the Roma Train Station to our tour bus or Roma accommodation.
- Roma Revealed
- Dinner at the White Bull Tavern
- Accommodation: Roma Inland Motor Inn
- Drive Time: Local attractions only
- All Meals
Day Three: Saturday
- Cobb & Co Changing Station, Surat T
- Sandytown River Cruises, St George
- Accommodation: Jacaranda Country Motel, St George
- Drive Time: 2 hours
- All Meals
Day Four: Sunday
- St George Heritage Tour, St George
- Riversands Winery and Cotton Farm Tour, St George
- Accommodaton: Jacaranda Country Motel, St George
- Drive Time: Local attractions only
- All Meals
Day Five: Monday
- Myall Park Botanic Garden, Glenmorgan
- Miles Historical Village and Museum
- Accommodation: Swagsman Motor Inn
- Drive Time: 3 hours
- All Meals
Day Six: Tuesday
- Roma Saleyards
- Anglican Church – over 50 leadlight and stained-glassed windows, Roma
- Big Rig Night Show / High Tea / Tower, Roma
- Accommodation: Roma Central Motel
- Drive Time: 1.5 hours
- All Meals
Day Seven: Wednesday
- Discover Carnarvon Ranges Full Day tour
- Farewell Dinner at Explorers Inn
- Return Transfers to your motel
- Transfer to Railway Station
- Depart on the Westlander Train, Rex Airlines or our own transport
If travelling by train our guides will pick you up from the Roma Railway Station at 6am on Day One. If you’re already in Roma we will swing by your Motel on Day Two.
- Travel insurance
Accomodation:6 Nights Motels in various locations including Roma, St George and Miles