Discover secrets of the Carnarvon Ranges that are not accessible to the public. In a small group, explore a vast private property nestled amongst sandstone cliffs. Here you'll visit Indigenous sites by the Dawson River and rock art hidden in remote bushland. Enjoy lunch in Cycad Gorge - a prehistoric wonderland - and see spectacular rock formations. Timid fauna and bush flora add to the day's discover. Breathtaking views of the Arcadia Valley are a highlight. Short walks from the 4WD mini-bus take you to the sights.
- Driving and walking
- 1 day
Spend a magical day on a 72,000 acre private property nestled amongst the magnificent sandstone cliffs of the Carnarvon Ranges. About 1.46 hours (160.5km) drive North of Roma, towards the iconic Carnarvon Gorge, travel with an experienced ecologist, discovering hidden wildlife and plants.
What to expect:
Departing Roma at 7am, enjoy the air-conditioned comfort of our modified 4WD 12 seater bus with commentary about the local region, legends and landmarks. Travelling to our destination, our first stop is a historical Aboriginal site called the Axe Factory, involving a short 500m easy return walk, with an optional 20m steeper climb to investigate a secret cave. After you will enjoy a scrumptious morning tea provided by BOOBOOK and have access to flushing toilets
After the Retreat, take in the spectacular Carnarvon Range scenery as we travel along farm tracks, finding out how this cattle grazing property came about, operates and is managed today to take care of the environment that sustains it. Our knowledgeable and professional guides will also share information about the flora and fauna found in the area while keeping an eye out for some of Australia’s iconic and lesser known wildlife such as Rock Wallabies and the secretive leaf-tailed gecko.
With plenty of great photo opportunities, we make a stop at Date Rock followed by Cycad Gorge to enjoy a picnic lunch of wholesome outback tucker. Relax and take in the ambiance of this gorgeous Outback Queensland location set among “dinosaur plants” while also admiring the surrounding cliffs and “Arch Rock“. After lunch we travel up a rocky range track to take in the breathtaking views of the Arcadia Valley before heading to Rainbow Cave which involves a short 50m uphill walk on uneven, rocky ground. Here we admire intriguing coloured rocks and authentic Aboriginal art before then enjoying light refreshments just down the track admiring the The Sphinx for the foreground. After a full day of exploring, sit back and relax in the bus, reflecting on the day that has been, as we head back towards the township of Roma and your accommodation.
Our day tour is limited to 9 people, so you will have plenty of opportunity to ask questions to our ecologist guides while connecting with and admiring the diversity and wonders of this scenic and wild countryside.
- Mobile phone coverage is limited in areas of the tour. Guides will carry first aid & remote communication equipment.
- Tour involves short walks (with various gradients) on unmodified landscapes, with some uneven and rocky ground. Good Balance is required.
- Mornings may be cool, but the days can warm up to mid 20’s during winter and high 30’s during summer. Mobile phone coverage is limited on the property.
- Bush toileting may be required at times. Due to Covid restrictions, we are unable to use the Wallaroo Outback Retreat‘s bathroom facilities. We will make a stop at a nearby truck stop following Morning Tea.
Grade 3 - Easy to Moderate
- Exclusive entry to private property
- Small Groups (up to 9 people)
- Your own ecological expert as an interpretive guide
- All meals supplied including morning tea, afternoon savouries and a scrumptious individually pre-packaged lunch.
- Transfers from your accommodation in Roma or Injune (90min interpretative drive each way)
- Transport around the property in BOOBOOK’s modified 4WD air conditioned 12 seater vehicle
- Access to privately owned gorges, Aboriginal art sites and more
- Visits to stimlulating locations like Arch Rock and Cycad Gorge
- Lend of walking poles (if needed) and head lamps for exploring small crevices in the rocks
Guests to Bring:
- Sense of adventure, good humour and questions
- small day pack
- Full reusable water bottle
- Comfortable walking clothes and covered-in shoes
- Insect repellent
8 - 16 people
Beginning & End Times:
To ensure we leave Roma on time, please be ready by 6:45am – we’ll pick you up from your accommodation .
Ends: You will be dropped off at your accommodation at approximately 6pm.