This inspiring walking discovery gets you off the beaten track to see the remote scenery, forested escarpments, fern-filled gorges, sandstone cliffs, fauna and flora to Queensland's iconic Carnarvon Gorge National Park and surrounds. Your knowledgeable local guide will take you to little-known sights and help you appreciate the amazing biodiversity of this region. Includes one night with a tour in Roma and three nights at Wallaroo Outback Retreat - glamping style tents (real beds). All meals and transfers included. Walk 8-15 kilometres a day.
- 5 Days / 4 Nights
For the fit traveller looking to challenge themselves on their next holidays, join our 5 Day Carnarvon Walking Adventure. See things off the beaten track that few others know about. Trek the unformed paths of the Expedition National Park, explore the best walks of the Carnarvon Gorge National Park and hike cross-country through a 72,000 acre privately owned property nestled in the Carnarvon Ranges with sandstone cliffs, cycad filled gorges, stunning rocky outcrops and panoramic views. After a day of adventure exploring the area, sit by the fire and enjoy the quiet sounds of the Queensland Outback while you glamp in style at the Wallaroo Outback Retreat. This unique and iconic region is not to be missed and is best seen with a guide.
- Arrive in Roma and check into your accommodation.
- Roma Town Tour: Transfers from your Roma accommodation then travel to key landmarks and locations within Roma Town including: Lake Neverfill, Roma’s Cattle Sale Yards (largest in the Southern Hemisphere), The Butter Factory and Railway Station, Bassett Park, Roma’s Biggest Bottle Tree, Roma’s abandoned Winery, Heroes Avenue. Enjoy afternoon tea in the picturesque setting of the Roma Bush Gardens before we continue on with the tour through the town.
- As the sun starts to set, enjoy a sunset tour to the EMSCO Rig while tasting regional port followed by a 35-minute sound and light journey and hear about the early oil and gas exploration in Roma.
- 6:30pm. Dinner (excludes drinks) at a local Roma pub before transfers back to your Roma Accommodation for the evening.
- 6:30am. Meet at the Boobook Ecotours Office where you will be able to park your car before boarding the Boobook 4WD air-conditioned bus and we depart Roma. We will head to the Lonesome section of Expedition National Park located at the junction of the Carnarvon and Expedition Ranges. Enjoy the spectacular sandstone scenery and diverse vegetation as we walk along unformed tracks to enjoy spectacular views of sandstone rock formations that others don’t get to see. Mid-afternoon, we’ll depart Lonesome, travel to and check into your glamping accommodation at the Wallaroo Outback Retreat. Once the sun goes down, take a walk with our ecological guide to uncover the nocturnal wildlife around the retreat.
- Today we explore the iconic Carnarvon Gorge National Park (about 45mins from the retreat). Walk the formed tracks along Carnarvon Creek while exploring the main gorge and key attractions such as the Moss Garden, Amphitheatre, Wards Canyon and Art Gallery, depending on desired length of walk. After the walk, if weather permits, take a revitalizing dip in the Gorge’s iconic Rock Pool.
- Learn about working life on a large outback cattle station as we hike around parts of a 72,000 acre privately owned property in the Carnarvon Ranges. Marvel at the sandstone cliffs and gorges, see unique Aboriginal art at the spectacular Rainbow Cave, Cycad Gorge and Arch Rock. Before the day is out, take a moment to breathe the fresh air, relish in the vastness of the country while enjoying the spectacular views with light refreshments overlooking The Sphinx as the sun sets in the distance.
- In the morning, take an optional short walk around Skull Mountain and after enjoying a hearty breakfast we depart for Roma at 8:30am.
- 11 am. Approximate arrival back in Roma
- Tours are subject to change. All tours are weather dependent and a contingency maybe required. For tours that are held during storm and fire season, the actual location may vary on the day according to prevailing conditions.
- Full day walk can be as long as 20km. Walking lengths and difficulty can be adjusted to match groups level of interest and abilities.
- Mobile phone coverage is limited in areas of the tour. Guides will carry first aid & remote communication equipment. Mobile phone coverage is limited in some areas.
- Mornings may be cool, but the days can warm up to mid 20’s during winter and high 30’s during summer.
- Surfaces range from sand to rock, with areas of loose ground and some steep sections. Good level of fitness and balance recommended.
- Bush toileting may be required at times
Intermediate (Walking Grade 4 - Moderate)
- Return Transfers from your accommodation/airport in Roma. All transfers around the property and hiking sites in BOOBOOK’s 4WD air-conditioned 10-seater
- 1-night accommodation twin share in a Roma motel accommodation
- 3-night accommodation twin share at Wallaroo Outback Retreat – glamping style tents with real beds. Some shared amenities; others ensuited.
- Fully catered with wholesome outback tucker - 4 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 4 dinners (Morning / Afternoon teas)
- Return Transfer from Roma Airport or Roma Railway Station.
- National Park & Property Access Fees
- Entry into The Big Rig Night Show Sunset Tour
- Your own ecological expert as an interpretive guide
- Lend of walking poles (if needed)
- A true and brilliant Outback Australian experience
Guests to Bring:
- Sense of adventure, good humour and questions
- Backpack or small day pack
- Reusable water bottle
- Own tea/coffee cup
- Comfortable walking / exploring clothes including long pants and long-sleeved shirts
- Hiking boots/comfortable walking shoes
- Casual evening camp wear, noting it can get cool at night
- Lightweight fleece or jacket
- Insect repellent
- Personal toiletries
- Swimmers and towel
- Relaxation attire
Up to 14 people twin share
Beginning & End Times:
- Arrive in Roma by 1:30pm Day One.
- Tour Begins at 2pm Day One – transfers from Roma Accommodation
- On Day Two we head north to our walking sites. Arrive at the Boobook office in Roma by 6:30am. Guests will be able to leave their cars at Boobook Ecotours office before boarding the Boobook’s 4WD air-conditioned bus
- Return to the Boobook office in Roma by midday on Day Five. Transfers to airport / accommodation available after this time.
THIS TOUR REQUIRES GUESTS BE IN GOOD PHYSICAL CONDITION.
All levels of walking/hiking experiences welcome however it is recommended that travellers be in good physical shape. (A reasonably fit adult is someone who gets some cardio-vascular exercise on a regular basis) Grade 4 – Moderate walks involving some stretches of moderate inclines, water crossings, narrow gorges, uneven ground with varying surfaces from sand to rock. Pace may vary depending on the type of terrain being covered, expect to be able to keep up with a walking pace of approximately 3 to 5 kms per hour and distance could be up to 8-15kms per day. Subject to groups abilities.
Accomodation:The first night will be in lovely motel within the town of Roma. Our home for the next three nights is the Wallaroo Outback Retreat, with 10 recently renovated glamping tents, 5 with ensuites and 5 with rustic detached bathrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, and an atmospheric lodge building built from timber milled on the property. This is camping with style! At the end of the day enjoy a yarn, a glass of wine and some camp oven cooking around the rustic fire pit while spotting for rock wallabies against the cliffs.