Journey with us to the heart of Outback Queensland within the iconic Carnarvon Ranges. 7 - 11 June 2021
- 5 Days, 4 Nights
For the fit traveler looking to challenge themselves on their holidays, join our Carnarvon Gorge Walking Adventure where we trek the unformed paths of the Expedition National Park, explore all the best walks of the Carnarvon Gorge National Park and hike cross country through a very large privately owned property nestled in the Carnarvon Ranges full of sandstone cliffs, cycad filled gorges, stunning rocky outcrops with panoramic views. After a day of adventure exploring the area, sit by the fire and enjoy the quiet sounds of the Queensland Outback while you glamp in style at the Wallaroo Outback Retreat. This unique and iconic region is not to be missed.
Day 1 – Arrive in Roma at around about Midday and check in your accommodation. Once checked in share the afternoon with a local as we take you on a guided tour around the town and gain an insight into the colourful history and characters of Roma. As the sun starts to set, enjoy a sunset tour to the EMSCO Rig while tasting regional port followed by a 35-minute sound and light journey and hear about the early oil and gas exploration in Roma. Introductory Dinner at a local Roma pub before transfers back to your Roma Accommodation for the evening.
Day 2 – Early morning, meet at the Boobook Ecotours Office where you will be able to park your car before boarding the Boobook 4WD air-conditioned bus and we depart Roma. We will head to the Lonesome section of Expedition National Park located at the junction of the Carnarvon and Expedition Ranges. Enjoy the spectacular sandstone scenery and diverse vegetation as we walk along unformed tracks. Mid-afternoon, we’ll depart Lonesome, travel to and check into your glamping accommodation at the Wallaroo Outback Retreat. Once the sun goes down, take a walk with our ecological guide to uncover the nocturnal wildlife around the retreat.
Day 3 – Today we explore the iconic Carnarvon Gorge National Park (about 45mins from the retreat). Walk the formed return tracks along Carnarvon Creek while exploring the main gorge and key attractions such as the Moss Garden, Amphitheatre, Wards Canyon and Art Gallery, depending on desired length of walk. After the walk, if weather permits, take a revitalizing dip in the Gorge’s iconic Rock Pool.
Day 4 – Learn about working life on a large outback cattle station as we hike around parts of a 72,000 acre privately owned property in the Carnarvon Ranges. Explore the sandstone cliffs and gorges, and see unique Aboriginal art, spectacular the Rainbow Cave, Cycad Gorge and Arch Rock. Before the day is out, take a moment to relish in the spectacular views over the renowned Arcadia Valley while enjoying the sunset and light refreshments.
Day 5 – In the morning, we’ll take a short walk around the Wallaroo Station before departing for Roma
- Tours are subject to change. All tours are weather dependent and a contingency maybe required. Tours that are held during storm and fire season, actual location may vary on the day according to prevailing conditions.
- Full day walk can be as long as 20km. Walking lengths and difficulty can be adjusted to match groups level of interest and abilities.
- Mobile phone coverage is limited in areas of the tour. Guides will carry first aid & remote communication equipment. Mobile phone coverage is limited in some areas.
- Winter mornings may be cool, however the days can warm up to mid 20’s.
- Surfaces range from sand to rock, with areas of loose ground and some steep sections. Good level of fitness and balance recommended.
- Bush toileting may be required at times
- Non-ensuite Glamping tents are still allocated their own bathroom for each tent, however are located near the main retreat common room.
- Challenging hiking distances among spectacular sandstone scenery and diverse vegetation in areas such as Expedition National Park, Carnarvon Gorge National Park and Wallaroo Station.
- Return Transfers from your accommodation/airport in Roma. All transfers around the property and hiking sites in BOOBOOK’s 4WD air-conditioned 10-seater
- 1-night accommodation twin share in a Roma motel accommodation
- 3-night accommodation twin share at Wallaroo Outback Retreat – glamping style tents with real beds. Some shared amenities; others ensuited.
- Fully catered with wholesome outback tucker - 4 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 4 dinners (Morning / Afternoon teas)
- Return Transfer from Roma Airport or Roma Railway Station.
- National Park & Property Access Fees
- Entry into The Big Rig Night Show Sunset Tour
- Your own ecological expert as an interpretive guide
- Lend of walking poles (if needed)
- A true and brilliant Outback Australian experience
Guests to Bring:
- Sense of adventure, good humour and questions
- Backpack or small day pack
- Reusable water bottle
- Own tea/coffee cup
- Comfortable walking / exploring clothes including long pants and long-sleeved shirts
- Hiking boots/comfortable walking shoes
- Casual evening camp wear, noting it can get cool at night
- Lightweight fleece or jacket
- Insect repellent
- Personal toiletries
- Swimmers and towel
- Relaxation attire
Up to 14 people twin share
Beginning & End Times:
- Arrive in Roma by Midday on Monday 7 June 2021
- Guests will be able to park their cars at Boobook Ecotours office on Tuesday 8 June 2021 before boarding the Boobook’s 4WD air-conditioned bus
- Transfers to airport / Roma by lunchtime on Friday 11 June 2021
THIS TOUR REQUIRES A CONSIDERABLE DEGREE OF FITNESS.
Walks can be demanding due to steep slopes, water crossings, narrow gorges, uneven ground, potential slippery surfaces with thick undergrowth. While the pace may vary depending on the type of terrain being covered, expect to be able to keep up with a walking pace of approximately 3 to 5 kms per hour. Walking distances travelled per day could be up to 20kms and may be adjusted to match group abilities. Walking will involve some spells of continuous rough ground, stretches of moderate to steep inclines with varying ground surfaces from sand to rock. Food and a minimum of 4 litres of water for the day will be carried by each participate. Each night participants will return to the base camp.
- Roma Motel Accommodation
- Wallaroo Outback Retreat